[uf-discuss] Joining CalConnect?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 8 17:42:25 PDT 2006

Here is the irony.

It is *easier* and takes *less time* to offer iCalendar feeds to customers
by:
 * marking up your events with hCalendar
 * using an hCalendar->iCalendar proxy

Rather than:
 * pick another URL for the .ics
 * setup your web server to do proper mimetypes
 * figuring out how to export a .ics file (learn new format)
 * debug it in whatever iCalendar consumers your users use

Chris, the reason to implement hCalendar *is* iCalendar support for end
users.  hCalendar is the fastest way to implement iCalendar.

The user benefits of directly using hCalendar are *secondary*.

Implementing hCalendar is very much following 37Signals' philosophy of doing
less and getting more.

Thus 37Signals spent *more time* than they needed to, by directly
implementing iCalendar, when they could implemented hCalendar instead.

My guess is that they just didn't know that this more efficient
implementation route existed and did all the extra work.

Once they had done the extra work (to offer less functionality, again,
ironically), they certainly didn't want to spend any more time adding
hCalendar support.  Makes sense in a sad sort of way.

Tantek

P.S. Lots of key folks in CalConnect know about hCalendar.

If you want to follow CalConnect discussions, sign up for the ietf-calsify
discussion list.  I've been on it for quite some time now, and post once in
a rare while.