[uf-discuss] Getting started with microformats

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 9 11:38:03 PDT 2006

On 8/9/06 10:41 AM, "Chris Messina" <chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I had the question posed to me yet again:
>
> "Ok, we know we should do microformats... but we're not sure where to
> start. Can you help us out?"
>
> Seeing as how I'm probably not alone here, I was going to create a
> "Getting started with microformats" page when I discovered a bunch of
> confused pages that seem to be half-hearted attempts to solve this
> problem:
>
> * http://microformats.org/wiki/introduction
> * http://microformats.org/wiki/what-can-you-do-with-microformats
> * http://microformats.org/wiki/implement
> * http://microformats.org/wiki/getting-started
>
> They all seem to start with definitions and then run out of steam.

Actually, what you are seeing is the natural state of wiki pages.  They get
incrementally improved over time, and not necessarily predictably so.

> I would like to propose (and yes, this means work at some point, but
> for now I'm raising the issue) that we create a well-written and
> straight forward page that does answer the question: "I'm ready to get
> started, so where do I begin?"

Alright Chris, I'm going to call you on this.

Stop proposing and start writing.  Seriously.

I'll be perfectly frank, there have been lots of proposals and calls for
action by folks but when those same folks are asked to step up and help out
with even incremental work they typically fail to find the time to do so.
More action (writing), less talk (proposals).

The next actions here:

1. Feel free to add and improve to the pages mentioned above.

2. If you don't like the pages above, how they are structured etc., and have
a better proposal, then start a section for yourself on the "to-do" page and
start describing what you want to create instead.  The reason for describing
it first is to make it more open, and to put it somewhere that other people
looking to improve things will also look to help out.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/to-do

3. Follow-up on those items you listed on the "to-do" page.

Thanks,

Tantek