[uf-discuss] RE: microformats for groups and group memberships?

Jim Dalton jim at ere.net
Fri Aug 11 12:15:50 PDT 2006

Eran wrote:

> After much prodding from Tantek and some from Ryan as well I
> finally got to
> adding some of my own related work to the wiki.

Cool that's great. I pushed things along a bit myself (hopefully) by adding
some real world examples from flickr, youtube, and linkedin. All I really
had time to do today.  Hopefully it helps us and others.

One thing I noticed on the examples I was looking at and posted (aside from
almost zero semantic markup) was that member lists often exist in a location
separate from the main "group" page. frequently, with long lists of members,
the member lists can be spread across multiple pages, often with different
URIs then the original group page.

I wonder how that's accounted for using the rel tag as you (and Charles in
his reply) have suggested?

(from the group-brainstorming wiki:)

    * rel="group" - used by an individual to link to their groups
    * rel="member" - used by a group's site on links to its members

the use of these tags would presumably relate members to the page they are
on, but shouldn't something in any future format account for the fact that
lists of members might appear in places aside from the actual group page (or
vice versa, membership in groups listed somewhere aside from person's home
page)?

to take your example Eran:

        The Do Family <ul class="xoxo">

            <li><a href="http://example.com/jane_do" rel="founder moderator
rel="member">Jimmie D.</a></li>

        </ul>

wouldn't it make sense to mark up either the title of the UL element to
communicate the group that the items are members above, e.g.:

<ul class="xoxo hGroup" title="The Do Family"
href="http://example.com/do_family_home_page">

or... (esp. since href is not a legitimate attribute of UL)...what I would
probably do myself if I were trying my best for semantic perfection:

<dl>
	<dd class="vcard"><a href="http://example.com/jane_do" class="url
fn" rel="founder moderator member">Jane</a></dd>
	<dd class="vcard"><a href="http://example.com/john_do" class="url
fn" rel="moderator member">John</a></dd>
	etc...
</dl>

Just communicating the idea in the above suggestions, not actually putting
forth actual recommendations. I'm not as familiar with XFN in practice so
not sure if the above would be totally off. Still not if the above
communicates membership in organization effectively.

Interested in others' thoughts...particularly as this group has far deeper
knowledge of how these concepts are constructed than I do. Hope this is
useful.

Sincerely,

Jim Dalton
jim at ere.net