[uf-discuss] Chat formats again (Adium + Rails/Jabber Chat)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Aug 11 21:05:05 PDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:44:44PM -0700, Chris Messina wrote:
> I had a conversation with the Growl/Adium/Foom guy today... primarily
> about microformats in Adium
>
> He tells me that he's working with a bunch of other IM clients (GAIM,
> Adium, Kopete) to adopt an XML based chat format:
>
> http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/XMLLogFormat
>
> I spent a good deal of time trying to win him over about why he should
> consider HTML and microformats for both chat logs and chat display,
> but he wouldn't budge.

Over in the Jabber community we have an XML format as well (by no means
universally adopted):

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0136.html#fileformat

But with XSLT we can simply transform one format into another, no?

BTW I have been working on preparing the XHTML-IM integration set for
more robust microformats support:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0071.html

Do you guys have any use cases for microformats in IM that I can use to
socialize these concepts in the Jabber community?

> It seems to me that we need to push forward with some kind of
> Campfire-esque web-based chat client that supports Jabber auth. The
> only one I've found so far that's open source is Congress...
>
> http://www.petercooper.co.uk/archives/001038.html
>
> I'd like to find time, perhaps at a Mash Pit during BarCampEarth to
> code this thing up using some kind of microformat. Anyone interested?

Have at it and post the results! :-)

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre