[uf-discuss] citation: another example of practice in the wild

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 18:21:11 PDT 2006

On 8/16/06, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I tried my imagination on one of my straw examples. Does this fit what
> > you were expecting?
>
> In general, yes, though I'm not that comfortable commenting on the
> details of microfomrat design (exactly how best to encode the class
> attributes and such).

OK. I was actually thinking just now that the "dc:" from each might
not really be necessary. It might be enough just to allow parsers to
treat any DC term as defined by DC? It's difficult to say what the
collision damage would be since there are many terms in DC...

While I'm comfortable commenting on microformat design, I'm even more
comfortable being told I'm wrong :)

> > One thing I noticed was that there seemed to be no DC term for what I
> > had as 'instantiation', or the link to a copy of the actual resource.
> > Maybe there's somewhere else we can borrow a term from, or was I
> > missing a good choice from DC?
>
> I don't have much experience with using them, but
> dc:format/dcq:hasFormat I think covers this.

Yes, I missed that, it does. I think we'd have to use it as a child
element on the link:
title="application/pdf">PDF</abbr> full text link</a>

I'm not 100% comfortable with that - seems like it's not really saying
exactly the thing I want. I wanted to mark one or more URLs in the
item as being a link to an electronic representation of the cited
item. Instead this seems to be saying that the item is a PDF, and no
more.

I think that it is really important to unambiguously label the link to
the representation of an item. If it's available, It's possibly the
most important information in the item.

-mike

--
Michael McCracken