[uf-discuss] Getting started with microformats

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Thu Aug 17 06:03:35 PDT 2006

> I did think about using the "agent" field --- unfortunately, in this
> instance John Smith is (in real life) an agent and John Doe is the
> agent's assistant. I have a feeling that using the agent's "agent"
> field for the agent's assistant's hcard or the associate agent's
> hcard is just going to cause confusion all round.

The vCard 'agent' field strongly means that the enclosed vCard is an
assistant or proxy of the main vCard, it doesn't mean 'agent' in any
of the other senses of the name.

" This type typically is used to specify an area
  administrator, assistant, or secretary for the individual associated
  with the vCard. A key characteristic of the Agent type is that it
  represents somebody or something that is separately addressable."

> Looks like it's an unfortunate semantic conflation which is
> restricted to this particular domain of discourse.

I suppose if you're using 'agent' to mean something else then yeah,
but that's a risk that all the microformat class names run.

-Ciaran