[uf-discuss] Re: Nested hCards (WAS: microformats for groups and group memberships?)

John Panzer jpanzer at aol.net
Fri Aug 18 21:08:56 PDT 2006

In our blogging app, we currently use a xoxo list of vcards as one
format for simple "friends lists" of readers and contributors.  Our use
case is a bit more oriented towards personal lists than publishing
(think Rolodex or buddy list), but perhaps it maps well to the contact
groups/category model.  My "Friends" are a group from my point of view,
regardless of whether they actually know each other.

Currently we're just using separate xoxo lists for the separate groups
or roles.  This is a bit annoying as there may be quite a bit of overlap
and we'd like to be able to have a flexible representation that can
easily 'compactify' this information.  Categories sound like the right
tool for this job; are they?

A concrete example:

<ul class="xoxo">
<li class="vcard">
class="category">reader</span>)
<li class="vcard">
</li>
</ul>

So Chuck is categorized as a reader, while Dave is categorized as both a
reader and contributor.  (If this seems too special-case, think "Friend"
and "Colleague" categories in an address book.  Is this reasonable?

-John