[uf-discuss] citation: another example of practice in the wild

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 16:12:51 PDT 2006

Hi again, I just realized that I had a pretty obvious example of
practice in the wild that we'd been missing, so I added it to the
examples page: http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-examples-markup

The example was the default HTML export from my OS X BibTeX DB app, BibDesk.

It uses definition lists and some simple class names, although in 2004
I was probably thinking more about the stylesheet than semantic value.

I don't have a good idea of how to check how many people are using
this template to generate HTML, but I'm willing to bet it's
significant. There are 202 members of our users mailing list, and
there have been 11,086 downloads of the current version.

What still needs to be done with this effort to start gaining momentum again?
I'm eager to start building support for something (anything) useful
into my tool, just as long as it won't all be wasted effort.
Unfortunately, aside from optimism, that tool support is probably my
only opportunity to help due to severe time constraints - it's getting
pretty discouraging to watch the list for movement and not be able to
help until things are more solidified.

I think a citation microformat would be a really big deal. I've been
wanting one without knowing exactly what I wanted for at least four
years.

Thanks,
-mike

--