[uf-discuss] Questions re: adr in hCalendar

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 09:00:51 PDT 2006

Andrew Turner wrote:
> I'm trying to put an event in MF. However, the wiki doesn't have a
> full-blown example for how to put an adr into the 'location'. This is
> what I've come up with so far. However, since adr doesn't have "name"
> supported directly, or other names, such as building or floor, then
> how would I properly add this information? Would an hCard go *inside*
> of the location?

You can use the 'adr' microformat, but since you are describing a venue,
then it makes sense to create a full-blow hCard.
If you look at eventful.com or upcoming.org they are doing this quite
often (http://eventful.com/events/E0-001-001096637-9)

so your example would look something like;
 <a class="url" href="http://rubyconfmi.org/">
 <abbr class="dtstart" title="2006-08-26T14:00Z">Saturday, August 26,
9AM</abbr>-
 <abbr class="dtend" title="2005-08-26T21:00Z">5PM</abbr>, \
   in
    <!-- vcard in a location -->
 </a>

> Also, the wiki states that the dtend is exclusive - but the example
> only shows full-day events, not time events. How is the dtend
> exclusive handled for times? Perhaps once this is all pointed
> out/resolved it can be put on the wiki. Each MF def should probably
> have at the very least a "simple" example and a "complex" example to
> illustrate how to just begin using the MF and then how to handle a
> full out MF.
The exclusive-ness of datetimes is more an issue with days than it is
with times. If you say your event has a dtend of 2006-08-22 the event
actually ends on the 21st at midnight between the 21st - 22nd.

With exclusive times if you had 2006-08-22T12:00:00 the event would end
on 11:59:59 am (one second before noon) This really isn't as much of an
issue as loosing a whole day.

So your example, because it has a end time, doesn't really need to worry
too much about the end-time issue.

-brian