[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Fri Dec 8 09:58:59 PST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:
>> --- these values are not "reserved" across all of HTML. We
>> have a mechanism to prevent this, it is called Profile URIs,
>> if a parser comes across class="vcard" then the best way to
>> determine if this is a random CSS Style or a semantic value
>> is to see if there is a Profile URI that matched the XMDP of hCard.
>
> Are you referring to this?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#profiles
>
> Is a Profile URI a well-known URI where I have to find semantics
> elsewhere
> or if not what format is returned by the URI? (just trying to
> understand)

Somewhere in between the two– they preferable return an XMDP
description of the microformat. XMDP is not formally descriptive
enough to be able to automatically parse the microformat, you have
the read the prose to understand all the constraints.

> How can I disambiguate when two Microformats collide?  Let me give a
> concrete example (one I will be working on in the future):

First profile wins. This had previously been clarified in HTML5,
until Hixie decided to remove the profile attribute from HTML5.

-ryan