[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats

Tim Hodson hodson.tim at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 9 01:33:19 PST 2006

Forgive me if I have missed something, but could a parser not
understand multiple formats if the HTML used was also meaningful?  For
example a blocklevel element (say a <p>) could contain some content
that was marked up with one microformat, and another blocklevel
element could contain content marked up with another entirely
different microformat.  The fact that they shared the same page isn't
a problem.  A parser could easily identify child relationships within
the HTML and extrapolate.

Granted this wouldn't be so easy if two microformats were muddled
together on the same page.  And if they were then maybe there are two
questions to ask.  1/ Is the microformat in need of some additional
elements?, and 2/ Is the author of the page trying to do too much.
could it be laid out differently?

Simple is better afterall.

Tim

On 09/12/06, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ryan King wrote:
> > > How can I disambiguate when two Microformats collide?
> > > Let me give a concrete example (one I will be working
> > > on in the future):
> >
> > First profile wins. This had previously been clarified in
> > HTML5, until Hixie decided to remove the profile attribute
> > from HTML5.
>
> Please tell me if I misunderstand, but I think that clearly identifies the
> problem I've been trying to address: naming clashes on a scare resource.  If
> what I think you said is correct, that would require someone to use one or
> the other, but not both. That approach to web architecture is clearly not
> acceptable, don't you agree?
>
> -Mike Schinkel
> http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/
> http://www.welldesignedurls.org/