XFN usage stats and Re: [uf-discuss] rel="muse" implies romantic relationship?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Dec 10 18:52:11 PST 2006

On 12/10/06 6:11 PM, "Karl Dubost" <karl at w3.org> wrote:

> Le 11 déc. 2006 à 10:04, Tantek Çelik a écrit :
>>> :) So, there you go...it causes riffs in relationships and
>>> misunderstandings. LOL
>>
>> I think I have to pass the buck to communication when it comes to
>> riffs/misunderstandings in relationships.  A public admittance to
>> someone
>> being someone else's muse just seems like open honesty IMHO.
>
> but the world is not "open honesty" ;)

I would differ only slightly from your statement -

the world is not *just* "open honesty"

though it does contain some.  as does the Web.

and it is this existing open honesty on the Web (existing real world
publishing behaviors) that microformats seek to represent and communicate.

> it is made of complexity, of
> long walks in forest, of double meanings, of opacity, the richness of
> our world lies specifically in this.

indeed.  and this is one of the reasons why microformats do not try to alter
people's publishing behavior in an unnatural way - and ask of them to make
openly honest what is not already so - unlike "a priori" formats efforts
which seek to change behavior as such with metadata etc. that they "wish"
people would simply magically start publishing.

> Binary statement of life
> destroys the poetry and the social nature of humans.

But it is exactly such binary statements in aggregate (digital data formats)
which have done more to communicate and propagate without loss of fidelity
poetry, music, movies etc. in recent history.

> Do not forget that lies are necessary in a social group (think about
> caring for others for example). It is part of the glue as much as
> "honesty".

I tend to question how much are any specific lies necessary as you say, as
rationalizations such as this are the frequent apologies of those who have
not yet chosen to challenge the assumptions given them by the contexts which
appear to make such lies necessary.  But that is merely a matter of opinion
and so I choose to simply agree to disagree with you rather than seriously
offer any debate.

However, in science, I'm not sure there is any need, nor any room for, lies.
And science forms the basis of our work here.

Thanks,

Tantek