[uf-discuss] Mars & Moon news stories
andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Mon Dec 11 11:00:22 PST 2006
<e86992a40612110205o15a49615se7253c612f9c4e43 at mail.gmail.com>, Frances
Berriman <fberriman at gmail.com> writes
>On 07/12/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> Both Mars and the Moon have been in the news this week:
>> Where are we, with the 'Mars':
>> and 'Luna':
>back atch'ya! You appear to be the major
>contributor to both of these proposals, so where are you with them?
I've done everything I think I can (please let me know if I've missed
something) and am waiting for some response from "the community".
>What specific problems are causing hold-ups, if any?
So far as I can see, the issues are:
* should these be subsets of "geo" (i.e. add an extra class to
geo, indicating which body is being referred to); or stand-alone
(I'm happy either way; using the former may produce nonsensical
results in existing parsers; this might be deemed of little
* should there be a class to indicate the mapping convention being
used, or should the uF specify a default (as, I believe, is done
with geo)? (Of course, there could be a "default unless
otherwise stated", meeting both needs).
* lack of involvement from the relevant space scientists, not
least as addressed in discussion (and apparent rejection by this
community - or is the jury still out?) of the potential use of a
dedicated mailing list.
* naming issues (if any remain, I think they are relatively
trivial and easily resolvable).
Do you think a "straw man" might be due?
* Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>
* Free Our Data: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>
* Are you using Microformats, yet: <http://microformats.org/> ?
More information about the microformats-discuss