[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 12:50:20 PST 2006

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> If it is not a scarce resource, please tell me what would happen if I
> decided to start marking up documents, as an example, using the class
> "directory" and "license", for purposes other than rel-directory and
> re-license?  How could my markup and those Microformats co-exist in the same
> HTML document?

--- This hasn't been a problem yet, but we do have mechanisms to prevent
problems in this space.

It is possible for me to start creating a CSS style called 'vcard', but
a parser would know that this is a style and not semantics because of
the lack of a profile URI. Eventually, as microformats become more
popular,  the profile URI is used to disambiguate random styles with
intended semantic values.

So far this isn't a problem, and to save time and effort we are focusing
on the more important things. (IMHO) i would like to see more profile
attributes, but i am not too worried - we'll cross that bridge when we
need too, but there is a system in place to  solve these problems -
microformats are not "squatting" on terms.

-brian