[uf-discuss] rel="nsfw"

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Dec 29 05:34:16 PST 2006

On Dec 29, 2006, at 6:43 AM, B.K. DeLong wrote:

> Intriguing, yes....but it would be even more valuable if tied to a
> rating system of some sort. ie a user picks from a series of de facto
> rating standards which give a ranked value to whatever is labeled as
> NSFW perhaps then using CSS or Javascript to appropriately color
> links. something to think about as NSFW can be quite vague.

"More valuable" is all relative to likelihood to be published.  I
believe rel="nsfw" was suggested on this list a while back, and this
same vagueness issue was raised at the time.  But I think in
practice, almost no one is publishing ratings with links, and many
people are publishing "NSFW" warnings.  So vague as it may be, it's
apparently communicating something useful on the live web today.

Peace,
Scott