wiki-thon? Re: [uf-discuss] Microformats.org usability review

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 2 11:07:52 PST 2006

On 2/2/06 11:01 AM, "Ryan King" <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
>
>> Mark et al,
>>
>> I appreciate the effort that has gone into this.   I wonder if it
>> would be worth just getting together for a few hours some evening
>> for  "Microformats wiki-thon", where we do a "spring cleaning" of
>> the website in order to make it more usable, and fix up some of the
>> obvious holes that have been sitting around a long time.
>
> Obvious holes? Sure, we can meet to do a "spring cleaning," but what
> needs to be cleaned? What should it look like when we're done?

Precisely.  The larger point is, anything healthy and growing is never
"done" and never "fully cleaned up".  You just keep incrementally improving
on it.

Ernie, if you think there are "obvious holes", document them on the to-do
page, because to the rest of us, there are no "obvious holes", only numerous
things we can do to improve the site.

Or rather, help make sure that what you think is "obvious" is obvious to
everyone else by documenting it. :)

>> I know -- at least for myself -- that this sort of housekeeping is
>> a lot more fun a) if there's other people around, and b) there's a
>> chance for informal back and forth to make sure we're not throwing
>> away anything important.
>>
>> Of course we should do this via IRC, but it would help to have some
>> sort of central location.  Rohit, feel like hosting something
>> again?  I'll pitch in for pizza...
>
> Please, anyone else who suggests improving the website, do so with
> actionable, concrete suggestions.

Agreed.  So far there has been a lot of high-level assertions of "we need
some cleaning" with very few specifics.  Mark Rickerby's email at least
documenting *some* specifics, and I note that he has added to the to-do page
as well (Thanks again Mark!).

 http://microformats.org/wiki/to-do

Thanks,

Tantek