[uf-discuss] Versioned Documents

Benjamin Carlyle benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 10 14:50:09 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 19:57 +0000, Tim Barker wrote:
> To clarify, if you think about Versioned-Documents, they will have a number
> of characteristics:
> version number: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 etc.
> updated by: <person>
> update date: <date>
> status: draft, published, etc.
> First version URI: The URI to the first document version
> Previous version URI: The URI to the last document version
> Version URI: where the document is

A bit of premature brainstorming:

Whether or not you can use hAtom as your starting point depends a lot on
whether you want to place all content versions on the same page, or a
list of URIs for those version on the same page. I suggest you would
often have a number of views into your repository. One view might be a
hAtom-compatible list of recent versions (a history view). Another might
be the difference between two versions. Another might be a single
version.

For the latter two cases you might consider using html <ins> and <del>
elements to track the diffs. How you refer to previous and next version
links between documents is an interesing question. It may be appropriate
to use <link> or <a> elements with rel="prev" and rel="next". You would
need to talk and think about this use of the prev and next
relationships, though. They usually refer to previous and subsequent
chapters in a book rather than previous and subsequent versions of a
chapter. It may be important to devise different relatinship types which
are specific to the versioning problem.

--
Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au>