[uf-discuss] hAtom permalink

Benjamin Carlyle benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 10 18:46:46 PST 2006

I have been off the air for a few weeks, so apologies for the late
reply.

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 14:26 -0800, Ryan King wrote:
> In hAtom#Permalink [http://microformats.org/wiki/
> hatom#Entry_Permalink], we currently have a few things I'd like to
> remove:
<snip/>
> 3. "If an Entry has multiple elements marked as the Entry Permalink,
> they MUST have exactly the same URI" and "The first valid element in
> an Entry marked as an Entry Permalink is the Entry Permalink
> "
> I think we can just go with the latter, no need for both.

My feeling on this issue is that there is generally no requirement to
allow multiple <a> elements to be marked rel="bookmark". Certainly
multiple <a> elements with the same or different href values should be
permitted, but marking more than one as the bookmark seems extraneous to
me at this time. I think we would need specific examples to justify the
permission for multiple bookmarks, especially if they are permitted to
contain different href values for the same lang and type attributes.
Those different href values must pertain to different contexts within
the html document, and we currently have no reasonable means to
determine which belongs to the hentry and which to the unknown context.

I would prefer that hAtom 0.1 contain text similar to:
"An entry must contain at most one element marked as the Entry Permalink
for each media type and language"
This requirement can be relaxed as a justification and a corresponding
technique for disambiguation arises. This wording also allows bookmarks
in different formats and languages, which I think would be normal to
permit for any such link.

--
Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au>