[uf-discuss] Re: one citation microformat use case (Michael McCracken)

David Osolkowski qidydl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 06:43:43 PST 2006

On 2/14/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking from my own viewpoint and that of the BibDesk users I've talked to
> (generally academics, not librarians - it is a bibtex editor), I think that
> a complete resource description framework would be welcome, but probably
> overkill.

The pun Ryan made: http://www.w3.org/RDF/.  That would be the
uppercase-Semantic Web side of the fence, which microformats aren't
exactly aligned with.  Someone more involved with the politics can
probably explain it better.

The simple just-a-link references are, I would imagine, already
covered by the cite tag and attributes; if we need a microformat, it
would be for more complex data like a full MLA citation.  It might be
worthwhile to simply take the common MLA formats and translate them
into microformats and see what that gets us.  We may also be able to
reuse terms from Dublin Core.

I'm kind of fuzzy on the use cases, so if I'm off-base, let me know.
I know there are also citation formats other than MLA, I'm not
familiar with any of them though.

- David