[uf-discuss] Re: one citation microformat use case (Michael McCracken)

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 02:32:17 PST 2006

Speaking from my own viewpoint and that of the BibDesk users I've talked to
(generally academics, not librarians - it is a bibtex editor), I think that
a complete resource description framework would be welcome, but probably
overkill. All we really need is enough metadata to import into our local
collections and then reproduce a citation in the MLA/Chicago/insert journal
style here/ format.

I view hCite as one method to automate that process of publishing such
automatically importable data. In BibDesk, we have a feature that lets
people view a web page then select the text and choose mappings to bibtex
fields (ie, select an author name and click on the author field) - people
are doing this markup by hand, and they love that feature! There would be
many happy people if this kind of simple mapping was done by markup already.

You lost me with your discussion of comporting validity - are you referring
to just expressing author/location information for the cited work or
something more elaborate than what is currently done with citations?

I added a bunch of markup examples to the wiki from databases I use. Their
markup seems pretty lame. I wanted to add an example from
http://www.citeulike.org/ but the site was unreachable just now - that site
imports from the other sites, I believe using screen-scraping plugins.

-mike

--
misc: http://michael-mccracken.net/wp/