[uf-discuss] Re: one citation microformat use case (Michael McCracken)

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Tue Feb 14 07:18:49 PST 2006

I only meant that a citation provides two useful pieces of
information: stating that yes, someone else has said this, and where,
when, and in what format I found said citation.

I'd also like to take a minute to argue with placing the citation
styles (MLA, APA and friends) with only an informative link at the
end of the citation-examples page. I think the word "style" here
comports too much information for web developers. I would argue that
we should dissect these styles in order to document the relevant
information in each, from which we can generate our class names. Just
as hCard and hCal were built on standards, so should hCite be built
on established, implemented standards, i.e. MLA, APA etc. That these
formats are on paper and do not have explicit mark-up is a non-issue:
they have implicit mark-up that we can document. We still had to
decide whether to call it "fn" or "full-name", right? This is merely
a logical extension.

I think this is a worthwhile undertaking. Other thoughts? If so I'll
volunteer to take on MLA.
--
Ryan Cannon

Interactive Developer