[uf-discuss] Microformats for scientific papers

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Sat Feb 18 19:26:49 PST 2006

I haven't got round to making an official page on the wiki yet, but I
wanted to let people know that I'm working on finding the best way to
markup and present scientific articles in XHTML. The markup takes
clues from DocBook and LaTeX, as well as the publishers' markup
currently in use as shown in a survey I carried out a couple of weeks
ago <http://hublog.hubmed.org/archives/001309.html>. I imagine this
will share some elements with a book microformat, plus it uses a
citation microformat and some parts of hCard (for representing
authors and addresses).

There's a demonstration page here: <http://alf.hubmed.org/ojs/
index.php/jis/article/view/1/1> - view source and look at everything
inside <div="article">. I'd appreciate any 'do this' or 'don't do
that' comments (and will say upfront that I misused a few existing
elements for the sake of readability, eg 'name' instead of 'fn'). I'd
also be interested in hearing from anyone who deals with scientific
articles outside the biomedical field and knows of any elements
specific to their papers.

alf.