[uf-discuss] Re: Microformats for scientific papers

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Sun Feb 19 12:54:57 PST 2006

I like your use of space-separated class names (e.g. citation
reference book), but you do have a little bit of redundancy:

   - <abbr> implies an abbreviation, so class="journal-title-abbr"
could just be "journal-title"
   - <li id="ref16"><a name="ref16"> is redundant and may be (not
sure) illegal.

I also question the extensive use of IDs in general. Using ID fields
is extremely limiting. How, for example, could one page contain
multiple articles, or sections of an article, or only article
metadata (such as an abstract list), if these fields require IDs?

It seems to me that the main part of getting a scholarly (not just
scientific) article microformat would be hCite/citation microformat,
and a metadata format (possibly related to Dublin Core??).

For the most part, we're already there. (X)HTML already has
structures in place for cross references, quotations, tables,
diagrams, illustrations, sections and section headings. Aside from
citations and metadata, most of the problems I an see already solved.

--
Ryan Cannon

Interactive Developer
MSI Student, School of Information