[uf-discuss] Microformat for forms to post comments?

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 03:11:44 PST 2006

On 2/23/06, Julien Couvreur <julien.couvreur at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Julien!

> Most bloggers have the problem of following up on the comments they
> leave on other people's website. One of the challenges to solving this
> comment tracking problem is that comment forms come in many shapes.
> Would this be a good problem to solve with a microformat?
> Has any microformat of this kind been discussed before?

Aha, comment tracking: the bain of my life. Whilst I'm not totally
sure if hAtom has this in mind, I suspect that it could be used very
effectively for converting the comments pages of any blog into an Atom
feed and thus allow them to be tracked using a feed reader.

At the time of writing, Wordpress is the only mainstream blogging tool
I'm aware of that provides native feeds for every post (in RSS 2.0
format), but since hAtom allows you to describe a feed within the HTML
mark-up itself, it's a nicely CMS-agnostic solution for creating
individual post feeds.

> As a side question, do we know if some microformats really gained a
> lot of adoption? If so, which ones?

I believe XFN was taken under the Microformats umbrella, that's
popular. hCard is picking up too.

Regards,
Ben

(Apologies to list moderators as this message was previously
accidentally sent from an unvalidated address)