[uf-discuss] Group Microformat

Factory Joe chris.messina at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 00:56:06 PST 2006

So I was going to go ahead and create a discussion page for this topic on
the wiki, but I figured I'd hold off pending initial discussion.

So what I like about hCard is that I can create a social network of my
friends on one site, and once those services wisen up, can import all my
buddies at once via scraping the hcards off my friends listing pages.

Now, I'd like to do the same thing for groups. So I need something like
hGroup.

In the wild, groups usually have members and occassionally pools of data --
like forum posts or photos. You can also have vlogging groups, gamer groups
and so on. So I'd break it down like this:

--Group Name
  | Description
  | Tags

  +--+ Members
  |  |
  |  +-- Member 1 (hcard)
  |  |
  |  +-- Member 2 (hcard)

  +--+ Pool

     +--+ Topic

        +-- Post 1 (hatom)

        +-- Post 2 (hatom)

Anyway, what I want to be able to do is not only interchange my social
networks, but also my groups. If I've created a Flock group on Flock,
presumably I should have one created on Upcoming, iMeem and so on. Being
able to export these groups and share them between sites would be excellent.

I dunno, what do people think? It's just like, the more social apps I try,
the less interest I have in reinstantiating my entire social networking
infrastruture.

Chris