[uf-discuss] parsing hCalendar categories clarification

Mark Mansour mark at lifelint.com
Wed Jan 4 20:57:59 PST 2006

Hi uF list,

I'm writing a hCalendar parser and I'm using the content on
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-examples as my baseline tests.

My question may be caused by a lack of understanding of the 'microformats
way' but I would like to know if there is a single way of representing the
categories property of a hCalendar?

The reason for my confusion is that the categories hCal properties is
represented in 3 different ways...

a) In "4.6.1 Event Component" (
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-examples#4.6.1_Event_Component) you
have:
  <ul>
    <li class="category">Business</li>
    <li class="category">Human Resources</li>
  </ul>

b) in "Example 5: journal entry category" (
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-examples#Example_5:_journal_entry)
there is
 <ul class="category">
    <li>Project Report</li>
    <li>xyz</li>
    <li>Weekly Meeting</li>
 </ul>

c) and in "5. iCalendar Object Examples, example 1" (
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-examples#5._iCalendar_Object_Examples)
you have:
  <ul class="categories">
     <li>Conference</li>
  </ul>

a) is fine for me though it takes more work to convert 'category' to
'categories' for an ical
b) I think this is wrong since the ical property used is "CATEGORY" but the
RFC says it should be "CATEGORIES"
c) this would be fine too, but both a) and c) are valid there are now lots
of ways (ok, 2) to parse the XHTML.

my preferred method of expressing categories would be as follows, but I
don't know if this format is still in flux...
  <ul>
    <li class="categories">Business</li>
    <li class="categories">Human Resources</li>
  </ul>

So which is correct?  Are they all correct and they all need to be
understood?  Some guidance would be appreciated.

Also, what is the ettiqette for updating the uF wiki?  Just get in there and
go for it or pass it through a moderator?  One of the examples needs to be
updated because the XHTML is incorrect "<span class="rsvp">TRUE></span>" -
notice the text is "TRUE>"

I'm looking forward to your replies (hopefully)

Mark