[uf-discuss] hReview and the structured blogging tools

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 12 09:52:26 PST 2006

On 1/12/06 9:28 AM, "David Janes -- BlogMatrix" <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com>
wrote:

>>> (1) are the sub-ratings (i.e. quality of service: 3/5) always going to
>>> be dependent on rel-tag
>>
>> Yes.
>
> OK, so in particular:
>
> (1)
>
> This:

First of all, this is <b>ed and <br>eakfast markup which is to be avoided.

http://tantek.com/log/2002/10.html#L20021022t1432

> should becomes something like:

> <b>Food rating</b>:

Better, but still needs fixing:
 * for better semantic XHTML (to fix <b> & <br> abuse)
 * it is missing rel="tag", and
 * "best" is unnecessary since 5 is the default best.

<a style="display:block" href="http://example.com/tags/Food" rel="tag">
<h4 style="display:inline">Food rating</h4>:
</a>

Note that I inlined the necessary CSS style properties to achieve the
presentation that was previously achieved with the presentational tags <b> &

> (2)
>
> Visually, all sub-ratings will be a hyperlink.

Correct.

This is so that the user can click on them and see what the reviewer *means*
by "Food".  That example.com/tags/Food page could for example explain
precisely what 1,2,3,4,5 means in terms of a Food rating.

> [I know I'm re-iterating something that's kind of obvious, I just want
> to spell it out]

No problem.  It's good to make things explicit.

Thanks,

Tantek