[uf-discuss] hReview feedback

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Thu Jan 12 10:23:11 PST 2006

On Jan 11, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

>> it could be unknown, or it could be irrelevant (e.g., a review of a
>> recipe).
>
> Despite my previous comment, I think you're right- there are classes
> of reviews for which date has less significance.

I'm a little bit wary about discarding the significance of when a
date may or may not be relevant. In the example case or recipes
(snipped from the grandparent by the parent), my recipe books from
the sixties call for many ingredients in forms available at the time:
frozen fruit and vegetables, lots of canned foods, etc, which are
often harder to find now and much more difficult to cook with. While
a reviewer from the sixties may not see the necessity of dating that
review, a modern reviewer would most likely review the recipe quite
differently—especially one concerned with fair trade and/or health
requirements of the food.

In comparing two reviews, the date reviewed is almost always
necessary, because it helps provide a context for that review. I
can't think of a case where date reviewed would not be a necessary to
determining the context of a review, and as such feel that it's an
essential part of hReview.

--
Ryan Cannon

Interactive Developer