[uf-discuss] hReview and the structured blogging tools

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 27 01:02:01 PST 2006

On 1/12/06 1:21 PM, "Phillip Pearson" <pp at myelin.co.nz> wrote:

>>> should becomes something like:

>>> <b>Food rating</b>:
>>>

>> Better, but still needs fixing:
>> * for better semantic XHTML (to fix <b> & <br> abuse)
>> * it is missing rel="tag", and
>> * "best" is unnecessary since 5 is the default best.
>>
>> <a style="display:block" href="http://example.com/tags/Food" rel="tag">
>> <h4 style="display:inline">Food rating</h4>:
>> </a>
>>
>> Note that I inlined the necessary CSS style properties to achieve the
>> presentation that was previously achieved with the presentational tags <b> &
>>

> Perhaps:
>
> <a class="sb-rating" href="http://structuredblogging.org/ratings/food"
> rel="tag">
> <h4 class="sb-rating-title">Food rating</h4>:
>
> ... possibly with a <div> around the outside, or whatever's required to
> make Wordpress's content filters not mangle it.

Yes, that could work, except I believe I may have made a markup error in my
suggestion.  HTML4 has this whole block/inline nesting requirement weirdness
which unfortunately means you can't put an <h4> inside an <a>.

This should work better than what I wrote before (<strong> is the
semantically closest to a heading among the inline elements).

<strong>Food rating</strong>:
</a>

> Then we can put something up at /ratings/food that links to relevant tag
> pages - technorati, del.icio.us, etc - and explains what the SB plugin
> means by food rating.

Yes, that is a good use of a rated tag page.

>>> (2)
>>>
>>> Visually, all sub-ratings will be a hyperlink.
>>>

>> Correct.
>>
>> This is so that the user can click on them and see what the reviewer *means*
>> by "Food".  That example.com/tags/Food page could for example explain
>> precisely what 1,2,3,4,5 means in terms of a Food rating.

Tantek