[uf-discuss] rel-enclosure vs rel-prefetch

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 13:22:20 PST 2006

Hello,

On 1/13/06, Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I happened across a 2003 mozilla faq[1] the other day about its support
> for rel="prefetch" attributes on <link> (but not currently <a>)
> elements. The purpose and function of rel-prefetch seem similar to those
> I understand to be espoused for rel-enclosure.

The two concepts - prefetching & enclosures -- are actually different.
 I think these things get somewhat confused because of RSS enclosures.
 An enclosure just says that this thing is part of it.  An enclosure
is a semantic concept.  (It doesn't say to necessaritly prefetch it.)

Now, user agents, in certain contexts, often do in fact prefetch the
enclosures.  (Which is how I belive the confusion came about.)

> Are they the same thing?

No.  (See above.)

See ya

--