[uf-discuss] citation microformat?

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Wed Jan 18 06:49:14 PST 2006

On 18 Jan 2006, at 12:22 AM, Ryan King wrote:
> Where are we on a microformat for citations? Who's interested? Who's
> working on stuff?
>
> I'm drafting hResume and would like to be able to use it.
>
> thanks,
> ryan

I'm very interested. When I heard about microformats i thought it was
the perfect way to frame the discussion of bibliographies and
citation on the Internet. Admittedly, I've been a little gun-shy
being new to the game. I've contributed to the wiki examples and
questions a little bit, and was wondering about some borderline cases
we might want to present as examples.

Links in Slashdot's comments aren't anything exciting code, but they
do contain interesting information: Link, Title, Domain name.

John Gruber uses Footnote citations on his daringfireball.net, which
would probably make a good example of citation markup in the wild:

Daring
Fireball over the last few months.<sup id='fnref1-2005-07-20'><a

<hr />
<ol>
<li id="fn1-2005-07-20">
Gone Wild</a>&#8221;.
back to footnote 1 in the text.">&#8617;</a></p>
</li>
</ol>

If that seems like a true example, I'll put it in the wiki. In
addition, the wiki might need a little grooming. So far we have the
following pages:

- http://www.microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming
- http://www.microformats.org/wiki/cite-brainstorming
- http://www.microformats.org/wiki/cite-examples
- http://www.microformats.org/wiki/cite-formats
- http://www.microformats.org/wiki/cite

Citation seems out of place, and the two are definitely related. Like
I said, I'm new to this game, but enthused. Let me know how to help.

Cheers,
The Other Ryan

--
Ryan Cannon