[uf-discuss] Re: [Structuredblogging-discuss] Press Release Schema [and how microformats-discuss and structuredblogging-discuss can work together]

Phillip Pearson pp at myelin.co.nz
Wed Jan 18 14:59:50 PST 2006

Yeah, some selective quoting back there also made it sound like I was
saying "take it off the list!", but my true thoughts are fuzzier than
that :-)

As BK (Brad?) says, there's a lively conversation about hAtom and press
releases right now on the microformats list.

I think there's a natural division between the structured blogging
list+wiki and the microformats list+wiki; I'll try and explain how I
think the two groups complement each other:

Basically the SB philisophy is "give people as many templates as we can
- throw them out there and see what sticks".  So if you have an idea for
another microcontent type to publish with the plugins, talk about it
here.  Talk about attributes required, user interface, how you would
like to publish things... and so on.

This is orthogonal to the conversation about how to actually mark it up,
though.  That discussion belongs on the microformats list and wiki.  The
microformats group has a much more academic approach: they observe what
people are doing, and try to work out the most efficient format to
represent it.

So: SB is about getting people to publish more stuff, whereas
microformats are about making what you are publishing as rich as possible.

Back to press releases... as David Janes says, the general belief of the
participants on microformats-discuss right now is that most of what we
want is covered by hAtom.  What this means, practically, is that we're
unlikely to see a microformat developed in the near future specifically
for press releases, but we might be able to mark up some of our press
release output with the existing hAtom microformat.

So - let's keep brainstorming attributes on the wiki page, then someone
can turn it into an MCD file (XML file for the SB plugins), we can tweak
it a bit, put it in the SB distribution, and then when someone figures
out how to mark it all up with a microformat or two, we can modify it to
do so.

SB wiki page for press releases:
http://www.structuredblogging.org/wiki/index.php/Press_release_brainstorming

Cheers,