[uf-discuss] hReview feedback

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Jan 18 16:17:34 PST 2006

Craig Ogg wrote:

> Why do
> people disagree on what the lower bound of a rating system is?  I
> think Ryan says Amazon's lower bound is 1 because you can't enter a
> lower rating (you have to click on a star to set the rating).  I also
> believes that this is why he made it the default.  I think others
> disagree because the user may have wanted to give it less than one
> star but was constrained by the input mechanism -- IOW, the real lower
> bound is zero but Amazon just doesn't allow that to be chosen any more
> than they let 3.5 be chosen.

Personally, I disagreed because it said 0 in the real world example
page. And I didn't put much effort into verifying those numbers
because the first few I tried to verify didn't actually publish lower
bounds at all, so I could only discover them by registering and
creating a review to test how low I could make the rating.

As far as I know, none of the real world examples actually publish
lower bounds; they're only implied.  Am I wrong about that, or are we
really discussing how to format data that no one is publishing?

Peace,
Scott