[uf-discuss] hReview feedback

John Panzer jpanzer at aol.net
Fri Jan 20 14:55:24 PST 2006

Benjamin Carlyle wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 12:13 -0600, Paul Bryson wrote:

>>>I think this missed the point. Its those individual votes which are
>>>candidates for hreview, not the aggregate data.
>>>

>>I would have thought that they would both be canidates.  One is as common as
>>the other, and there is so much overlap that it seems wasteful to me to
>>ignore aggregate data.
>>

>I think it may be especially important to be able to mark up aggregate
>ratings as well as individual ratings, given that the aggregate may be
>of data not available to the web as individual ratings (think Amazon).
>It does seem likely, however, that the hReview format as written is not
>a good match to aggregates. It is designed to include text descriptions
>as well as a simle rating.

It allows for text descriptions but doesn't mandate them; this seems to
me to be a pretty good fit -- consider that it's perfectly reasonable
for even an aggregator to include snippets of individual reviews.   (I
can even imagine a cool web service that does some textual and numerical
analysis to provide a representative sampling of the underlying reviews
or quotes from same, saving you from having to wade through 90 reviews
that all say basically the same thing...)

-John