[uf-discuss] Mapping fields between Apple Address Book and hCard

Colin D. Devroe cdevroe at theubergeeks.net
Sat Jul 8 15:26:06 PDT 2006

For a small personal project I'm putting together, I'm going to
attempt to export my entire Address Book (from Apple's Address Book),
or just a selected Group within Address Book, to an XHTML file with
valid hCard formatted contacts.  I figured since most people are
attempting to get hCard's to be imported into the applications we all
use daily, I thought maybe it'd be cool to do the opposite. Yipee,
fun, fun.

My first task was to map the fields between Apple's Address Book and
the hCard spec.  I would appreciate if someone could make sure I
didn't make any glaringly wrong assumptions.

Please note: When going over this mapping table, I realize I am
reusing the class names to denote the sub-classes.  This is
intentional, as I am trying to show that if only one of the
subordinates is present, the master class is needed.  Maybe this
isn't the best way to show that, but I thought it worked for me.

Thanks in advance.

Apple Address Book		hCard spec
First Name				given-name
Middle Name			additional-name
Last Name				family-name
Nickname				nickname
Home e-mail				email home
Work e-mail				email work
Other e-mail				email
Home Phone			tel home
Work Phone				tel work
Mobile Phone			tel cell
Other Phone				tel
Pager Phone			tel pager
Work Fax				tel work fax
Home Fax				tel home fax
Home Page				url
Company				org
Department				orginization-unit
Job Title					role
Work Street				adr work street-address
Work City				adr work region
Work Province			adr work locality
Work ZIP				adr work postal-code
Work Country			adr work country-name
Home Street				adr home street-address
Home City				adr home region
Home Province			adr home locality
Home ZIP				adr home postal-code
Home Country			adr home country-name
Birthday					bday (iso date)
Note					note

If you have any suggestions, know of anyone that is already doing
this (I search microformats.org and Google and haven't found it yet),
please let me have them.

Colin D. Devroe
# http://cdevroe.com/