[uf-discuss] a.include mimetype

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 07:19:10 PDT 2006

Tantek Çelik wrote:
> type="text/html-frag">Scandinavia House</a

--- i did have a few concerns with a new mimetype. Fragment identifiers
are a weird thing. They are not actually part of the URI and have
various meanings depending on the content.

It is possible to have a valid URL that returns a 200 from the server,
but then the client application can't find the fragment in the document,
therefore, that should be a 404, but it isn't. (I'm sure people have
their own ideas of how that should be handled, but that is out of scope)

If anything, i think the mimetype should either stay, text/html, or be
text/xml, because any fragment of an XML document is still and XML
document, whereas, an small section of HTML, is not necessarily HTML,
but is XML.

So would lobby to keep it as type="text/html" or change it to "text/xml"

Any thoughts?
-brian