[uf-discuss] A couple of real-world usage problems

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 07:20:49 PDT 2006

Mike Rumble wrote:
> The second issue I'm struggling with relates to the itinerary of a
> cruise, because as well as having details such as departure and
> arrival dates and other meta data, a cruise also has an itinerary
> which includes various ports of call at various dates. These ports of
> call themselves can be considered as vEvents but they are also
> directly related to the cruise itinerary itself.
> This could be applied to other things as well, take for example, a
> conference. The conference itself is an individual event, as are the
> sessions which take place during it and both could be represented
> using hCalendar. However the session events can not exist without the
> conference event, so if it is removed they to should be.
--- the easiest way to represent the event as a whole and all the
smaller events would not be to nest them. Simply add then as separate
events. For example:

<h2>Conference XYZ</h2>
<ul>
<li class="vevent">Session 1</li>
<li class="vevent">Session 2</li>
</ul>

When someone imports this iCalendar all of these events will be on the
same "Calendar" as separate events. This is the easiest way to make a
single big block of time representing the WHOLE event, with several
individual events.

-brian