[uf-discuss] rel-tag: Sorry, I'm confused as to what it means

Frances Berriman frances.berriman at v-2.uk.com
Tue Jul 11 08:49:02 PDT 2006

The rel-tag ought to go onto a hyperlink that is a link that goes to a
place where all websites that also use that tag, are going to.  Wait...
that's explained terribly!

Take this example:  http://www.technorati.com/tag/microformats is a page
that shows all the entries on the web that contain a tag "microformats",
and are linking to that page.  The sites that have that link have added
the "rel="tag"" attribute so that visitors to their page can see that
that link is a reference to a tag.  Other hyperlinks that are not going
a destination like this do not require this attribute, as it isn't
relevant.  The "rel-tag" simply gives that one link *additional* meaning
(it makes the link mean.. "I'm a link, but more importantly, I'm also a
tag to give this page some context!").

Frances

FRANCES BERRIMAN
http://www.fberriman.com