[uf-discuss] Re: Resolving Microformats List Problem

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 19 10:21:16 PDT 2006

On 7/19/06 7:45 AM, "Drew McLellan" <lists at allinthehead.com> wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2006, at 15:20, Paul Bryson wrote:
>
>> Ryan King wrote:
>>> I added text/html back to the accepted list and changed the
>>> behavior to 'reject', rather than 'discard'.
>>
>> While I do think it's generally a better idea to not send HTML
>> emails (I really hate those custom icon and emoticon ads), why
>> reject those emails?  It's possible that someone wanting to ask
>> questions doesn't know how to set their client to send text emails.
>
> I think the two halves of Ryan's statement were intended to be
> totally distinct.
>
> 1) text/html is now accepted
> 2) any mail that isn't accepted for any reason will be rejected
> rather than silently discarded.

Yes, and I was the one who originally made these changes (no text/html, and
discard rather than reject) in order to lighten the load on the list-admins
(we were getting tons of spam to go through all the time).

Let's see how this works for a while, and if the same problems occur, I'll
likely switch at least the discard setting back on.

Tantek

P.S. This is probably a good time to remind folks to read/re-read the
mailinglist policies (which haven't changed since microformats.org was
launched)