[uf-discuss] Currency microformat

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Wed Jul 19 14:27:46 PDT 2006

On Jul 19, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> In message <8Nq16iPz6RvEFwE5 at pigsonthewing.org.uk>, Andy Mabbett
> <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> writes
>> Consider a defunct currency
>
> Example:
>
>         http://charlesdickenspage.com/works.html
>
>         a novel cost 31 shillings in 1836, average worker earned 6
> to 20
>         shillings per week) but a monthly installment, 32 pages with 2
>         illustrations and advertisements, could be sold for a
> shilling.
>
> Literally, six shillings = GBP 0.30; 20 shillings = GBP 1.00; but both
> have to be multiplied by some factor to give current-day
> equivalencies.

I've remarked in IRC that some of the markup examples shown to this
point have seemed quite verbose and probably impractical but haven't
weighed in here because its not necessarily my domain.

But since we have an example in the above text let me pose two
questions to those mulling the issues over and then quickly step aside.

[1] how would one proposed to mark up the string "6 to 20 shillings
per week" so that both values could be addressed with the appropriate
measurement unit?

[2] Other then providing hooks for exchange rate processing does the
markup provide any other benefit? Either as hooks for other
processes, styling,  or for allowing "data" to be extracted and or
used by an outside process?

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]