[uf-discuss] testing results - was hcard question

Ted Drake tdrake at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Jul 21 08:37:37 PDT 2006

Hi Drew

I'm assuming the microformat scrapers look at the code and not the visual
design. I've been adding extra information in sections that use display:none
for microformat purposes and adding the appropriate classes to the content
that is already in the visual design. On this level, the a include shouldn't
be a problem if it is using display:none. The screenreader will ignore the
link.

However, you are correct in that a screenreader will announce that a link is
present. I'll check on our end as well.

Thanks

Ted Drake
Yahoo! Tech  - Tech Made Easy
Member of the Yahoo! Accessibility Stakeholders Group

On 20 Jul 2006, at 19:37, Ted Drake wrote:

> I'm trying the latest version of the include pattern and I'm still not
> seeing the product title appear in the reviews.  This is near the
> top of the
> page:
>
> <h2 id="prodname" class="item fn">Apple iPod nano 2GB Black MP3
> Player</h2>
>
> And this is in the midst of each review:
>
> The CSS is display:none for .microformatdetail
>
> Has this pattern been made official? Is it just that tails is not
> recognizing it?

The a.include pattern is very new, and not quite official yet. There
are a couple of preliminary implementations around, but I'd be
surprised to find it in Tails at this point.

There were some concerns raised about the screen-reader friendliness
of using an empty link element with an href. My attempts to
investigate this have fallen flat a little, as my guy with the screen-
readers is short on bandwidth. If anyone has access to screen-
readers, we're interested in how the various links on the below pages
behave:

http://allinthehead.com/demo/include.html
http://allinthehead.com/demo/include-verbose.html

drew.