[uf-discuss] testing results - was hcard question

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Fri Jul 21 09:13:01 PDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 11:51 AM, brian suda wrote:

> So, at the moment, just because Implementations do not take into
> consideration display:none, doesn't mean that in the future they
> will as
> well. We currently ignore children of DEL elements, you could make an
> argument that if you are hiding it and don't want people to see it,
> then
> we should honor that and not transform it... HTML comments are hidden
> and ignored... so maybe other hidden content should be as well?
>
> Just food for thought.
> -brian

UGH!

Leave styles (and other visual presentation issues) out of the
microformat parsing side of the game please

How would a microformat parser know what presentation to follow?

Take the case of alternate stylesheets... where one "view" offered a
brief summary view (complete with many attributes given display:none)
and an alternate sheet with an expanded view.

Or the case of some unobtrusive DOM scripting goodness that
manipulates the view into some type of collapsed / expanded state or
totally rewires the display of the location information?

Or any other number of reasons why someone would want to publish some
data but format a particular view of that data for the screen (or
screen reader, or presentation, or mobile device)

I know a few on this list deplore display:none on relevant "data",
but in some cases its useful -- but only as a presentation mechanism
and it should stay independent of the data that has been codified via
markup.

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]