[uf-discuss] geo and named locations

John Allsopp john at westciv.com
Sun Jul 23 21:30:59 PDT 2006

Charles,

> My take on hCard's is that they do NOT have to represent "contact
> info".  (Although they can be used for that.)
>
> So using an hCard for the "Eiffel Tower" (as you mentioned in your
> example) would be OK.

I think this is where microformats and their "reuse [of] building
blocks from widely adopted standards" can get tricky.

vCard says in its abstract

"for directory information for a white-pages person object"

"The profile is defined for representing and exchanging a variety of
information about an individual"

hCard extends this to "contact information ... for people, companies,
and organizations".

At present, we have three microformats associated with location (and
closely associated with one another, via hCard)

geo
adr
hCard

Now, of course, geo and adr are derived from hCard, but the way I see
it, they are also independent from it. Clearly a way of marking up
addresses and geographic locations is required, and it does make
sense that they be reused from hCard.  But adr and geo shouldn't be
constrained by their role in hCard when used independently, and I
don't think they are supposed to be - for example, I don't think they
are restricted to being associated with contact information (though,
"geo is a 1:1 representation of the "geo" property in the vCard
standard" leads us to RFC2426 which says "This type specifies
information related to the global position of the object associated
with the vCard" - I guess that last bit doesn't apply when it is used
independently from an hCard :-)

At the moment, we do have the explicit constraints on geo mentioned -
that named locations MUST use hCard (which is what prompted this
discussion ;-), and addresses should be used if they exist and are
known (I take it that the adr format suffices here).

But, imagine you have the following

"Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated outside the Town Hall in
Sarajevo"

Now, the Town Hall is a named location, for which we have geo
information. If I wanted to mark this up with a geo microformat, do I
need to also use hCard? Or is it only in the context of contacting a
person company or organisation that this requirement exists?
Does it make sense ot use geo in this context at all? I'd say yes, as
the definition of geo is very broad "a simple format for marking up
geographic latitude longitude information", so its useful even if not
in the context of contact information.

I know I am being a pedant, but I'm trying to clarify this as much as
possible, because I am doing some presentations, workshops and other
general evangelism of uf and I find geo and adr really good simple uf
to use as example which go beyond the rel based ones, and I don;t
want to set anyone down the garden path by giving them misleading use
cases.

Thanks

John Allsopp

style master :: css editor :: http://westciv.com/style_master