[uf-discuss] Transit Microformat?

Frank Harris frank at traincheck.com
Thu Jul 27 15:51:27 PDT 2006

Greetings!

Is anyone working on a transit microformat? I found a thread from 2005
[1] and the corresponding wiki page [2] but I can't seem to find any
recent activity.

Earlier this year, Bart Solowiej and I developed a mobile transit
application, TrainCheck. [3] (TrainCheck sends the next 3 train times
at ANY stop in your metro to your SMS or email enabled cell phone.) As
you could imagine, its a pretty tedious job to scrape all the various
formats (HTML, PDF, etc) from the individual transit systems and load
them into a database. We could have used a microformat when we
started. But one didn't exist and we forged ahead.

Since then we've launched Caltrain, BART and Washington, DC's Metro on
our system and we are gunning for more before year's end. And since we
have this data -- we would like to give back the transit information
to the community in a standard format to encourage further
development.

So this is where we are... we are eager to learn more about the
transit microformat or be involved in the discussion of one. Any
information on the status of this effort would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Frank

[1] http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2005-October/001668.html
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/transit-table-examples