[uf-discuss] Book Contents Format

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Thu Jun 22 08:52:23 PDT 2006

On 22 Jun 2006, at 15:25, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On 6/21/06, Alex Ezell <aezell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As Tantek mentioned, there aren't many real-world examples. Perhaps,
>> my project could be one such example and I would like for this group
>> to have as much input into the final format I use as makes sense.
>
> I think it's a good idea. DocBook, TEI, LaTeX are all good existing
> models (I think the constant focus on "real world = what's already on
> the web" is counter-productive; we're still early in the web
> revolution). Indeed, I author my academic articles and books in
> DocBook, and then convert them to a home-grown XHTML micro-format. It
> actually is pretty good on its own, but also imports nicely into Word
> (which is what publishers typically want).
>
> Note also that Alf Eaton did some work in this area.

Here in particular - for publishing articles rather than books -
along with some background research and example pages elsewhere on
the site:
http://hublog.hubmed.org/archives/001362.html

I was waiting for the citation microformat to get to a conclusion
before trying to persuade any publishers to use this (or something
like it).

alf.