[uf-discuss] permalinks for microformat chunks of pages: use the 'id' attribute on root microformat elements

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Jun 22 17:44:18 PDT 2006

On Jun 22, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> The microformat chunks (e.g. hCards, hCalendar events, hReviews
> etc.) that
> have an "id" attribute are much easier to automatically reference
> (and thus
> link to and browser/scroll to from search results) than those without.

In the past, I've added ID attributes to pages with multiple hCards
thinking this would be useful for taking actions on specific
contacts, but then discovered that most tools didn't recognize
fragment URLs.  Last I checked, I believe X2V wasn't recognizing
fragment URLs, so it wasn't possible to export a single vcard from a
document containing multiple hCards.  To work around this, I made a
proxy service to strip documents down to single fragments:

http://makedatamakesense.com/fraggle/

For example, Tantek has 26 hCards on his home page, but you can pull
out just his own by running the page through this proxy:

http://makedatamakesense.com/fraggle/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftantek.com%2F%
23hcard

And then I went back and looked at X2V again, and now it seems to be
recognizing fragment URLs.  Technorati's vcard export still ignored
the fragment in URLs, so I thought this might still be useful there.
But it seems to be doing some odd conversion of URLs that makes this
impossible.  This:

http://feeds.technorati.com/contacts/http://makedatamakesense.com/
fraggle/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftantek.com%2F%23hcard

Becomes this:

http://feeds.technorati.com/contacts/http://tantek.com/#hcard

And it converts all 26 hCards.  So it looks like I wasted a little
time on that proxy.  But if there is some service out there that
doesn't recognize fragment URLs, and anyone wants to take advantage
of ID attributes on microformats, you can use it.

On a side note: as I was going through the hCard examples looking for
pages with multiple hCards to see if any of them had ID attributes
already, I noticed a lot of pages in that list don't actually have
hCards at all.  For example, I remember Neil Dunn once had a nicely
styled hCard on this page, but now it's gone:

http://www.ndunn.com/2005/10/7/hCard

So what's the protocol here?  Should such links be removed from the
wiki?  Moved to a "formerly had hCards" section?

Peace,
Scott