[uf-discuss] So Flickr has added support for hCard

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 17:30:53 PST 2006

Great to hear! I had a quick look at the mark-up and there is one
MINOR problem (so if anyone knows a developer at Flickr please pass
this on).

It correctly finds the N name "Brian Suda" because of our inferred
rule, but to correct this it would be easy to add and 'n' to the fn
class attribute such as:
without the 'n' the class="given-name" and "family-name" mean nothing.

Also, (since i developed X2V i should warn folks about this) X2V fails
at actually extracting vCards from Flickr. Here is why... the HTML
pages are NOT well-formed (and not valid there are inline elements
wrapping block-level elements), so i have to first pass the HTML page
through TIDY which converts it to an XHTML page that is valid and
well-formed. The problem is that in doing so, the class="vcard" is
lost and X2V is no longer able to extract any data. So we also need to
get Flickr to build well-formed HTML!

W3C validator
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fflickr.com%2Fpeople%2Fsuda%2F

W3C Tidy Output
http://cgi.w3.org/cgi-bin/tidy?docAddr=http%3A%2F%2Fflickr.com%2Fpeople%2Fsuda%2F

Keep-up the good work, i hope to see more sites using Microformats,
everyone benefits when they do!

Thanks,
-brian suda

On 3/17/06, Patrick Tufts <patrick at metaweb.com> wrote:
> Really cool! Congratulations to everyone who worked on hCard, and
> congratulations to Flickr/Yahoo for picking up on this standard.
>
> --Pat

brian suda
http://suda.co.uk