[uf-discuss] Citation: display-first?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 12:10:09 PST 2006

On 3/28/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:

> What about the advantage that a MF is viewable in a browser? I can ask
> people to add a little structure to their markup much easier than I
> can ask them to support entire new alternate formats.

Good point :-)

> Could you explain more about the liabilities of using a MF in RSS that
> you refer to?

I'm talking WRT to machine processing. With full formats like XML/RDF,
you get namespaces, rich linking support with a solid and consistent
underying model, etc.

But you're right; most news readers only support a handful of elements
(though the most important ones typically).

Still, if possible I'd prefer to have a full rich machine-processable
representation AND a nice human readable one that will work with
existing news readers.

Bruce