[uf-discuss] Citation format straw proposal on the wiki

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 14:27:21 PST 2006

Hi, so since we've got a large number of examples on the examples
page, I think it's time to float an initial version of a citation
microformat.

I've put a suggestion up on the wiki at
http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming - I don't claim
that it's complete - help fill it in, but keep in mind that we should
start out simple. I think I've captured nearly enough to satisfy the
80/20 rule based on the examples we've got, and I think a majority of
BibDesk users would be delighted with 50/50!

I tried hard to think of it as a microformat first and resist the
temptation to include everything I've seen in other bibliographic data
formats. I think there's a real danger here of making it complicated
enough that it's hard to adopt, possibly more so than with other
microformats.

I also don't claim to be any good at designing microformats - I just
really want to see one, and a bad strawman has to be better than
nothing at all. I'm eager to hear where I diverged from the design
patterns, exhibited ignorance, or any other criticism.

Thanks,
-mike
--
Michael McCracken