[uf-discuss] Citation format straw proposal on the wiki

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 11:44:27 PST 2006

Yeah, this is getting very similar, and I certainly don't have any
huge problems with the differences between our versions. A couple
questions:

- I'm still not convinced about [type] as a class, although it'd be
useful to have that data in there somewhere, it seems like it has the
potential to create a lot of classes (aren't class names shared across
all microformats?) and it also doesn't line up with how citations are
used on the web now, eg. you don't say "[3] Book: "Linkers & Loaders",
John R. Levine, 2000" , you say "[3] "Linkers & Loaders", John R.
Levine, 2000"

hcards with no containing element? what is requiring that element
buying us?

- pages is probably not required for a minimal valid citation
microformat - consider citing a web page or personal communication...

-mike

On 3/29/06, Alf Eaton <lists at hubmed.org> wrote:
> OK, so a minimal microformat for a citation could look like this:
>
> <x class="citation [type]">
>         <x class="title">Item title</x>
>         <x class="pages">n-n</x> [and anything else specific to this
> particular type of citation]
> </x>
>
> I think that's essentially very similar to Mike's version too.
>
> alf.
>
> On 29 Mar 2006, at 14:20, Breton Slivka wrote:
>
> > True, but a mechanism for this sort of thing already exists for
> > microformats in XMDP, and in a somewhat more flexiible form, in
> > that one does not need a monolithic profile for all the modules
> > involved, one can have a seperate profile for each module and link
> > to each seperately.
> >
> > The basic thrust of this is to follow the microformat principal of
> > solving the simple problem first. Out of all these specific domains
> > exists a definite "simplest problem". The only dispute that I see
> > is that the simplest problem doesn't solve all the domain specific
> > problems. You wouldn't expect it to! So you make additional
> > microformats to solve the domain specific issues. Thus the "micro"
> > in microformats, as I understand it.

> >> If you embed MathML and SVG in XHTML you still have to use the
> >> right DOCTYPE, so that the validator knows which modules are
> >> allowed (though admittedly you don't necessarily need the precise
> >> DOCTYPE just for displaying/interpreting the document):
> >>
> >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
> >>     "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN"
> >>     "http://www.w3.org/2002/04/xhtml-math-svg/xhtml-math-svg.dtd">
> >>
> >> alf.

Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate